The potential value-added of an Investment Facilitation Framework for Development
German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), International Trade Centre (ITC)
The event focused on the potential value-added of a WTO Investment Facilitation Framework for Development. It is well established that countries seek to attract foreign direct investment (FDI), to advance their economic growth and development. However, since the bulk of any investment facilitation effort is undertaken at the national level, one must ask why seeking to create a multilateral framework (which is a difficult and time-consuming effort) is important and should be endeavored, especially in the current political climate.
The principal purpose of a multilateral investment facilitation framework is to further increase FDI flows for development and enhance international cooperation in the investment area. During the event, the following issues related to the potential value-added of an Investment Facilitation Framework for Development will be addressed:
- Potential costs and benefits of such a Framework.
- Helping domestic reforms and facilitating more sustainable FDI flows.
- Requiring transparency of home country measures and encouraging the observance of investors’ CSR commitments.
- Maintaining an inventory and benchmarks of good investment facilitation practices and increasing technical assistance.
Agenda and Speakers
- Rajesh Aggarwal, Chief Trade Facilitation and Policy for Business, ITC
- Karl P. Sauvant, Resident Senior Fellow, Columbia University, CCSI
Potential welfare gains from different investment facilitation frameworks: interim results
- Zoryana Olekseyuk, Senior Researcher, DIE
- Nathalie Bernasconi-Osterwalder, Executive Director, IISD Europe
- Jansen Calamita, Head of Investment Law & Policy, Centre for International Law, and Research Associate Professor (CIL), Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Anabel González, Non-Resident Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Yewande Sadiku, Executive Secretary/CEO, Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission
- Matthew Stephenson, Policy and Community Lead, International Trade and Investment, World Economic Forum
- Axel Berger, Senior Researcher, DIE
The event was conducted in an interactive manner and allowed for questions by participants.
Hinweis / Please note
Während unserer Veranstaltungen werden z.T. Foto- und/oder Filmaufnahmen gemacht, die für Zwecke der Veranstaltungsberichterstattung und allgemeinen Öffentlichkeitsarbeit in verschiedenen Medien veröffentlicht werden. Sie haben jederzeit das Recht, die Foto- oder Videograf*innen darauf hinzuweisen, dass Sie nicht aufgenommen werden möchten.
During our events photos and/or videos may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. You have the right at any time to point out to the photographer or videographer that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.
19.01.2021 / 15:00 - 16:15
This was the 6th of a webinar series on investment facilitation for development, held in the framework of a joint ITC/DIE project on Investment Facilitation for Development.